Blogging 101 – The Basics of Blogging
Is blogging right for you? Last March 9, 2019, I joined the workshop on Blogging 101 – The Basics of Blogging hosted by the Mindanao Workshops and it was held at the Thought Factory here in Cagayan de Oro.
If you have been following my post since day one, you would know my uncertainty of creating this blog. This was made out of a requirement from a course that I took online. Joining this workshop inspires me to pursue writing as I was able to realize that I can do the things that are important in creating a blog. I am grateful for the speakers Maia Fortich Poblete of Mimai Scribbles CDO and Ruby Caberte of Pinay Mommy Online.
Here are the important factors in creating a blog with an explanation according to my understanding:
- Niche – it is important that you know who your target audience is. Examples are people whose interests are: travel, food, parenting, beauty and fashion
- Blog Name – associates with your branding
- Blog Tagline – briefly describes what your blog is all about. A catchy tagline attracts more visitors
- Choosing a platform – there are a lot of platforms available online. Commonly used are WordPress, Blogger, and Tumblr. If you aim to monetize your blog, WordPress is preferable.
- Blog Domain – your website address. It is what users type or search so that they can access your blog.
- About Me – a brief description of the author/blogger or the owner of the website
- Contact Form – allows your visitor or reader to contact you by being asked of their email and their message.
- Content – the most important factor. The relevance of a blog depends on the content of your blog posts.
If you find that you can do the list above, then blogging might be right for you. If you find yourself stuck somewhere in your writing career, review some notes, research more about blogging, read and follow other bloggers where you can get ideas from.
Blogging is more than just writing. Anyone can write but not anyone can blog. But blogging can be learned. 🙂